Thursday, April 26, 2007

Patience is a virtue

Wish I had more of it.

I seem to be falling into an old, bad habit: I've stopped believing people when they raise, especially when I have a good or reasonable hand myself. I really need to accept that I am beaten more often, and fold. Now I have lost two $5 SNGs again. I also lost a $2.50 SNG, but that was a more difficult situation: I had J9 and flopped a straight: KQT. I kept betting, the turn was another 9 and I was left with one caller. The river brought a third diamond and my opponent went allin. Now, the problem was that he might well do this on only a Jack. But I have to say that I did not take the flush possibility at all serious and simply called, I was more worried about him possibly having AJ.

This left me with 45 chips, level 15/30. I decided to stick around for a while as I registered for another SNG, and just a few hands later I actually got JJ. I lost that hand to pocket queens! So I do not feel too bad, even if I had folded my straight I most likely would have lost a lot of chips on JJ vs QQ (the board was all low cards).

Fortunately I did win the next SNG (though I needed a river J during the heads up phase). This has brought my total to eight first places in two weeks! I have never had such a sequence before. In total I have now made a net profit of $140 since buying the Harrington books - the best investment I ever made...

No comments: