Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Limit

I accidentally registered for a limit tournament. I saw an MTT was starting in 5 minutes at Party, buyin $33, and I thought: why not?

It seemed weird to me that there were so many small bets and raises at the start, until I finally got a hand I wanted to play and noticed that I did not have a slider......

Anyway, so after half the field was eliminated, I was chip leader :-) The play was horrendously bad, and I got some nice cards too (AA twice, AQ that hit, AK that hit). Moreover my opponents just kept calling on every street.

I had more trouble in the second half of the game though, once running QQ into an Ace (I should have folded when the Ace hit the flop!) and another time running top pair into a river Ace. Eventually I busted out with 66. I flopped a 6 but another short stack who joined me all-in got a runner-runner-straight!! Had I won that pot, I would have earned $50 more.

But I suppose that I cannot complain about finishing ITM in my very first limit MTT and earning a cool $100 :-) (well, $67 after subtracting the buyin, but it was still nice!)

My lifetime profit today reached the magical value of $2000. This includes a $40 bonus at Party that I did not expect to clear - I thought I would have to play 80 $20 games within two weeks or so, but somehow I seem to have cleared the bonus anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,

Congrats!!! You realise of course the next step is 5000 (1k,2k,5k,10k etc.). Lets hope you reach it soon :)

Is this extra 'money-buffer' a reason to play higer games?

Nard

Rob1606 said...

The main reason for playing the higher-stakes games is that you can earn more money there, and the players are not better :-)

Of course you need a slight buffer to be able to absorb some losses (see the graph in my previous post). However, I do not think you need a buffer of 50 buyins, as some people claim. At least, my ITM% remains stable at about 50%, and of course you can drop down if it really goes badly for a while.

The most important thing is not to be afraid! If you are thinking the whole time "I need to win this, I put $20 into this game" then it is going to be hard to make a profit.

The 80th Minute said...

Great overal profit results.
Keep on going!