Saturday, November 17, 2007

Live as it happened

I made these notes while playing my first MTT at CelebPoker. Sometimes I got a little bit excited. Enjoy. The good news is that I won $120 €120 ($175), erasing more than half most of my recent losses. I am almost back to $2000 profit now.



Level 1 = 10/20. People are completely unimpressed with a raise to 80. In the first
seven minutes, I got AK twice but failed to connect. I also got KQs, same story.
Then QJo as BB, I folded to a raise before me, flop QQx. I would have made a full
house and shared a pot with another QJ who "elected to call".

Down to 900 after 15 minutes, 835 after half an hour (starting stack is 1500).
I am starting to fear getting high cards. I will have to push soon.
Level up in 6 minutes (to 50/100).
I pushed when I was dealt KQo yet again after a minraise to my right. Left called
with TT, as did OR. Board became a flush... Still, this puts me back up to 1340
because one player folded to a flop bet. Level 50/100 now. My M = 9.

Not getting any hands. People seem to be tightening up, finally. I push AJs.
I get called by 33.... odds *exactly* 50%... I win! FLop J, Turn A, river no 3.
Stack 2380 now. Next hand limp-fold QJs, do not connect. Level 75/150, M=10.

The idiot to my left just got knocked down severely, is now below me. Good,
because he was calling way too much. That didn't last long, but now I have JJ!
Push after short all-in. He calls of course. HE IS OUT!!!!! Stack 5095!!
He had AJ, short all-in had A2, so he had even less outs. No wait, he is not
out, he still has 770 chips - now 995.

KQo AGAIN. Minraise before me. I call. I CONNECT!!! He bets flop, I push.
He has QT!!! I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stack now 9270, M = 30. I am fourth
player overall. HIghest stack is 12225, 81 players left. Top 20 gets paid.
I survive the first hour. I am still 4th, 77 left.

2nd stack sits down to my left, he has 11150. Observe him. AK as SB, folded to
me, I raise to 3BB, he folds. A good sign. Two players at this table are now
above me, one was here the whole time. Now 3 players. I am still 6th with 7 tables!
Seems unfair! Now there are again only 2 above me. Still... I should be first at
the table!

Anyway, taking it easy now, M=30, no hands, no pressure. One player at my table
now has 25k, he is chip leader of course. AGAIN AKo, BB. 3 limpers, raise to 800.
UTG calls with 77 and flops another 7. I lose only 800 more, fortunately.

Stack now 8445 (still nice), avg = 5357. 54 players left. Antes now, M = 17.
Still 8th biggest stack. In 5 minutes, blinds will double! M will be only 8,
boo hoo. Am 4th stack at this table with 5 tables left! Strange.

Damn, lost a big hand as BB when I hit top pair 8 on the flop and tried to win.
Opp stayed around with flush draw and hit on turn. Stack 6545 - below average!
41 players left... Will I survive the second hour? Need to start making moves now.
M = 6, blinds + antes = 1000.

QQ!! Raise to 4BB, TWO Callers, A on flop. That is the end of this tournament
for me. Now I have only 3845 left, M = 4. 38 players left. I am going to push
soon.

A8. I push if noone raises. But they do. Bigtime! Two huge stacks go allin...
THey have QQ and KK, QQ turns a Q.

A6. Push OTB. Blinds fold. Next hand TT! Now I can go out in style.
No, I cowardly fold after minraise, call, and all-in reraise. So does everyone
else.

Next level. My M drops below 2. 35 players left. Need to get a lot of luck.
A8 will have to do. YES, all fold. 5k now, M = 2.5. Not great. Average
stack is 9k, M = 4.5!! Everyone is in trouble. This time I fold A8.
Too bad, everyone folds to SB who pushes. 30 players left.

J9s! Fold when RHS calls. I moved, table full of shortstacks (comparable
to me). Nice balancing they have here. AQ!! Have to push now...
Go over the top of a shortstack. And I win! Phew. 26 left, stack 7500, M=5.

AQ again!! EP minraises, I push. HE FOLDS!!! 9k now, but blinds become 400/800
with 75 ante, so a round will cost 1800, so my M = 5. Avg stack is exactly
12000 now, with 25 players remaining from 200 originally.

11 minutes to the next break. Will I make it? All-ins are rarely called.
KQo as SB... I push, he folds. 9k again. Good, because I just had to pay the
blinds. M=5 still.

People are still limping... What a sight. 22 players left, smallest stack is
1318. I get a free round!! Yippee. Allows me to fold K6 as SB.

I was planning to push OTB with 96o, but there was a caller so I folded. Flop
T66. Push on next hand instead with 92s. SB calls with KK... I flop 962, and
there are no further miracles. Stack 19k!!

Suddenly I am in 5th place. 21 players left. I reached the second break.
After this, level will be 500/1000, round will cost 2500, my M = 7.
(I limped KQ. FLop AKx. I fold to a bet. Turn K.) Now in 6th place (during
the break).

BB, extreme short stack pushes, I have to call with 93 but lose.
Next hand I bluff as SB, back to 17k.

People still know how to fold! I push with 44 in third pos., all fold. 19k. 7th place.
16 players remain. My stack is exactly average. 15 players now. 14.

Next level: round costs now 3150, so my M = 5.5. Still in 8th place with 14 left.
Really want to make the top 10 now. Some guy just called an all-in with KTo and won.

Push with A9o in 2nd pos. All fold. 17k. Idiot calls all-in with K4, loses.

Hit top pair on free flop as BB. Opp calls a bet! Flush draw? He folds to turn
all-in, thankfully. Stack 22k! Still in 7th :-) 13 left.

Push with KJo, again no callers. Stack 25k! 6th position, 12 left.

I guess I should coast to the top 10 now. I AM THERE!! There was a four-way
all-in.

FINAL TABLE! Still in 6th. Nice payouts start at 6th, basically ($50).
Shooting for more of course.

Next level. Round costs 5000! My M is down to 4 now, but never despair...

QT OTB. Fold to UTG raise. Biggest stack is to my immediate left.
22... fold to early all-in. He has AQ, gets called by AK.
Good thing EP went all-in, it would have been my last hand.

People are still limping and minraising. No eliminations yet. Down to 9th now.
Very short stack pushes, is called twice, three times! 77 vs 98 vs KK (one
of the callers folded to a reraise).

AJo! Push in 3rd pos. 8 players left. All fold. 23k. Payout of $25 is assured!
There are two very short stacks now.

Flopped trips as SB, I called due to pot odds. 30k stack now!!! 7 players left,
payout $35. I'm in 5th. Really nice payouts start at 2nd place ($200 and $300)...

I push 55. Get called. by AQ. I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stack now 60k. Round costs 6600, M=9. Hasn't been this high in quite a while.
Need to slow down now, stop pushing. Having written this, I push on the next
flop that gives me 2nd pair + oesd. Down to 35k again. DAMN. M = 6 still.

Need to cool down for a while! Still 7 players left, avg = 43k.
I will try to wait until the next elimination before I make another move.
Can't take that long...

Nobody seems to be willing - there it is. 6 players left! $50 assured.

Now 5 are left! Hurray, $65 assured. Player who was down to 4k or so now
has 100k. He is playing every hand now, I fold KT after his raise.
Another player pushes though, and he folds.

KQs! Push, all fold. 29k. Fold 78s UTG on next hand. I am clearly in last
position here. Hawkeye (100k) is taking advantage.

Down to 21k after a few more games. Round costs 8k now, so M < 3.

Hawkeye now has 150k!

Blinds pass. Down to 14k. finally get a chance to push, T7. All fold.
And another chance with A8, again all fold! 29k again.

Only 4 now, KJs is gold for some! $80 assured.
One guy only has 12k left. Now he pushes and is called by KQ! He must lose this.
Yes!! Three players left!!! $120, nice.

40k using TT. Others have 50k and 200k.


...... At this point, with only 3 players left, I did not have the time anymore to make notes. One player (X) was sitting out and the other (Y) suggested we steal (share) his blinds, though Y's stack was much larger than mine. Unfortunately, I could not resist pushing QJo into the 77 of Y as BB. This was really, really, really stupid. All I had to do was just fold and raise a bit longer in the right spots, and I would have earned $75 more for free. I was just so on a rush from making it this deep into the tournament, that I couldn't think straight anymore. I was having so much fun pushing etc. Oh well, I can't be too upset about this (and I'm not), I made a very nice profit and by rights should have been eliminated a very long time ago. I should have gone out in 21st place in fact, just outside the money... I guess this sort of makes up for all the bad luck I have been having. It really was extreme. Let's hope that this bad phase is over now.

No comments: