Monday, November 19, 2007

That push

It was really bad. (Or was it?) I am just putting this down here for the future. To refresh your memory, in that €120-game, I did the following.

"Push on next hand instead with 92s. SB calls with KK... I flop 982, and
there are no further miracles. Stack 19k!!"

In that hand, my stack was 9k, average stack at my table was 9.2k. Though the blinds were 400/800 with antes 75, so that a round cost 1725 and my M was 5, my Q was nearly 1 (based only on my table). I had noticed, and written down, that all-ins were not often being called.

With 7 players at the table, my actual M was 3.65. So I could survive 36 more hands, that is not a lot. Nevertheless, we were down to 21 players with top 20 being paid. On the other hand, I was not really interested in a €10 payout after investing €5.50.

What would you do?
When I started writing this post, I was convinced it was a bad, possibly very bad, move. But the odds of having a (high) pocket pair (or AK, AQ...) behind you with only 3 players left to act cannot be very high. Finally, this hand set me up for a great result, since with this higher stack of mine people were even more reluctant to call my all-ins.

4 comments:

The 80th Minute said...

I really like how u played but ...
would never have played it like that myself. For sure not on the bubble.

What was your final result?

Rob1606 said...

Oh, this was from the game two posts down ("Live as it happened").

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Keep at it brotha, playing these low-buyin mtts can be an incredible grind. I know, that is where I started as well.

Do you ever play the blogger tournaments? They're mostly $10 buyins so they might be up your alley.

Then again if you are in UK it would also be the middle of the night for you....

Rob1606 said...

Thanks for your comment! Yes, up until recently I was playing $20 SNGs with nice results, but after a few consecutive losses (and, in hindsight, too many cashouts) I can no longer really afford it.

Yes, I would love to play in such a blogger tournament, but it would indeed be the middle of the night for me. Sometimes I visit the new world though :-) so I might be able to play once or twice next year.