Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Oh dear

I seem to have lost ten tournaments in a row. Well, almost, the sequence was interrupted by a single third place in an SNG. It has been quite a while since I had such a streak. Fortunately there were a lot of $10 games in the mix. What happened?

  1. 77 as SB, I raise to 3BB (definitely not enough) after all fold. BB calls with 53, flops a straight flush draw! I go all-in on the flop -- too late, as he calls and makes his straight on the river.
  2. QQ in EP, I raise to 3BB (a bit low, given that this is the first blind round), player behind me calls with J9 and flops a straight as I flop a set. I think I am supposed to lose all my money here (flop was KQT). I expected to be up against a straight draw.
  3. Another double special: I push with KQo in EP (reasonable given my stack and the blinds). The SB has 99 (and flops another 9), the BB has JJ. I fail to beat either hand.
  4. The end of the game is missing here. But I played too tight too long. In particular, I got A8 in third position with 9 players left, the first two players folded. Given my M of 7, I probably need to push here. The SB with 96s may or may not have called that. As it went, there were two callers before him and he pushed for 4BB! So it is clear that he was crazy, and I might have lost a bit there (but not all, since he was so shortstacked). Then I got QJ in first position, 8 players left, and again refused to push. A short stack two seats to my left pushed instead and did not get called. Then I refused to push when I flopped an oesd as BB and the SB bet 2/3 of the pot. Dubious perhaps, but I would have given him irresistable pot odds of 8:3. Then I folded as SB preflop, refusing odds of 7:1, and prompty would have flopped a set and turned quads :-(( Finally I even refused to push with TJ after one limper, though the blinds were coming in only 3 hands. WAY too passive overall.
  5. In a heads-up tournament, things went quite well until I called an all-in of AK with my QQ and lost the race. Nothing to do!
  6. I pushed JJ UTG with stack 2800, blinds 75/150. That was way too extreme. AK called and won the race. It was too early to push, I could have just raised to 450 and folded the flop. I might have made a c-bet on the flop KQx, but definitely (hopefully) not more than that, keeping me alive and kicking.
  7. A big $20 tournament in which I made several costly mistakes, including horribly overplaying AA. Eventually I pushed for 7BB and the BB called for half his stack with AT.
  8. TPTK lost to flopped set + flopped straight draw (who made his straight). Again I was very aggressive (looks like I need to find some balance here! compare 4 above), pushing on the flop JTT with AJ. Quite a bad move on my part.
  9. Third place! Thanks to a rivered flush at a crucial stage...
  10. Played a turbo game, I should not do that. Missed my only reasonable chance to push and that was it.
  11. Lost 500 on the first hand when I played QQ well, but my opponent called preflop with K8 and flopped two pair. Later flopped a flush and overbet the turn, causing my opponent to fold (I was worried that he was on a flush draw). Never really recovered.
PS: and now I lost two more. It is enough to start doubting yourself. In the first, my 88 ran into 77 and, what was worse, TT. Of course the biggest idiot at the table had the TT. In the second, I had a problem which is quite rare: I got too many good cards! At one stage I won four hands in a row, bringing me up to 3000 in chips. The problem with this situation is that you start to feel invincible. So when soon after this, I got AQ and hit TPTK on the flop, I proceeded to give half my stack to the BB who had AA. Shortly after that, I pushed a random hand into JJ in the blind, who proceeded to get a completely unnecessary third J on the flop and an even more unnecessary fourth J on the turn.

I guess I need to drop back down to $5 games or so. Well, tomorrow I will start playing at Celeb, which should be another easy site. But that's what they said about Titan. Oh well, we will see...

2 comments:

The 80th Minute said...

Rob, the cards will turn. It is very positive that u eveluate your play and find leaks in your game. This will improve your play.

I guess my biggest losing streak on Titan was 12 in a row and that was on the 5$ SNGs (Tallins).

Yesterday I played my first 10$ and got in third.

Cheers

Rob1606 said...

Thanks for your comment. Yes, having a place to evaluate my game was my main reason for starting this blog in the first place. It is remarkable how much you learn from looking back at old games. "Why on earth did I call here?" etc.

Congratulations on your $10 result!