Friday, November 23, 2007

Still much to learn...

I did a "poker IQ test" at Donkeytest. So 100 is an average score. My results: Overall, not a great result, but it was nice to see the big plus for the tournament play. This score was apparently better than that of 94% of the people who took this test! I'm also reasonably good at playing blinds (77%) and small and medium pairs (78%). Interestingly, my score with big pairs is much worse (beats only 32%). I suspect that this is once again the old problem of not being able to let go of a good hand.

Also, I am apparently bad at considering flop texture (30%). This news is unfortunately not very useful for me, because it doesn't answer the obvious question about how to improve this...

I am very slow, at least when doing this test (17%) and bad at aggression. I do not know if this means I am too aggressive, or not aggressive enough. I got an additional picture with bars, it says "aggressive 20, passive 18". That is not very helpful.

I also appear to be mediocre (40%) at analyzing betting patterns, and, rather disturbingly, at Logic (36%)! I wonder why?

For some strange reason, I can only take this test once - per email address, that is. I definitely plan to take this test again in a few months or so, to see whether I improved. I must say that the result was a bit disappointing for me, given my very positive results over the last half year I expected a higher score.

It is a real shame that I don't get to see my score per question. That would be a lot more helpful than only this summary. I wonder why they did this. I suppose they might not want the answers to become generally known, because then many people could test perfectly and ruin the test for others. But this could be fixed by stabilizing the scores, and not letting them depend on future test-takers anymore.

I will try to derive the right answers from looking at what I answered and in which areas I performed poorly...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm, maybe a stupid question, but what does the graph show and on what is the scale?

Nard

Rob1606 said...

The graph tells you how good I am in various things in poker, compared to other players who did this test.

100 = average

I believe the length of the bars is simply proportional to the amount that is written next to them :-)

I updated the post to make it a bit clearer!