Sunday, May 6, 2007

Bad decisions

I played in a $2 tournament with 942 players at Party Poker, and then some SNGs. Here I will highlight some bad decisions that I made today.

QJs, 3rd position, first two fold: I fold as well? It is OK to play conservative but I might have ventured a call here. Flop Qxx.
AJs, I call, four other callers. Flop AQ8, pot 1000, I bet 600. Opponent raises to 1200, has 2000 left after this. All others fold and it is 600 to call into a pot of 2800. I might have wondered why he raised here, but this was the first hand I played in 40 hands and I was just annoyed about the reraise. I went all-in and he had A8, leaving me with 1500.

Fortunately I managed to double up a few hands later, when I went all-in as BB after there were only 2 callers. I only had 78o, but it looked like a good spot. I got called by 44 but got a 7 on the flop. Some rounds later I did the same with 85o as SB after there was only one caller (stack 2960, level 200/400), did not get called that time. (Original caller had 3000, not sure whether I looked at that at the time.) And then with A2o. And then with A9 OTB, but got called by the SB with JJ. Then I had the most amazing luck: the flop was 444, turn 4. Suddenly his second J was irrelevant and it was all about the kicker: now my stack went up to 8000.

Then my most annoying hand of the tournament, the last one (for me). I had TT and raised 3xBB (stack 7300, level 300/600). This was apparently not impressive enough, since I got called by ... QJo?? Flop Jxx, I go allin and home. I don't think I can avoid going all-in on this flop, I suppose I should have just gone all-in preflop but it was just too tempting to try and get some more chips out of this hand. Too dangerous with just two tens! I checked it just now and an example with TT in the orange zone is actually given in Harrington, vol.II. Definitely an all-in. Hopefully I can remember this for the next time.

This reminds me of another bad decision I made yesterday, in a $5 tournament. Stack 3400, level 100/200, AQ in second position. I raise to 3xBB, I get TWO callers and then the SB goes all-in for 1400! I can't tell you how annoyed I was at these developments. People are supposed to respect my raises. It was in this frame of mind that I now went allin. Of course opp. #1 (88) and #2 (QKo) called, and the SB turned out to have QTo (obviously you want to push in this situation with a raise and two calls in front of you, but I should be saying that about myself...). Board: T-6-2-4-A. That put me up to 10k suddenly... I think the main other bad decision in that tournament was at the end, when I was still playing actively with 13 players left, although the payout was going to increase starting from 10th place. Folding would have surely made me more money. (As a final bad decision I offer the response of the BB in the last hand that I played there: he called my all-in bet with K2o.... for nearly half his stack.)

No comments: