Saturday, June 2, 2007

13 losses and a second place

I have not been playing particularly well since my big win. Let's review.
  1. $6 speed. Second hand: AK, keep calling on board KQx-Q-x. Especially after the 400 bet on the river I should have accepted I was beaten. Ten hands later, go all-in as SB after just one player called. BB wakes up with AT.
  2. $6 speed. With bottom two pair, I lose to middle top pair. I double up shortly afterwards but my all-in with A9 gets called by KQ who gets a K on the river.
  3. Step 2. Early on, call all-in for 650 on TPSK. Later, AK and then a flush draw bring me no joy. All-in with AJ (level 100/200, stack 1800, MP) gets called by KJ -> 3100. Raise to 4BB = 800 with TT gets all-in by KQ as a reply. I call -> 5400. A few bets and raises later I even have 6300, 5 players left. Shortest stack is down to 1000 at one point when he goes all-in with 33, gets called by 44 and doubles up after a 3 on the river. Two more steals bring me up to 7500! A few hands later, there is a short stack of 150 (Laila) who pairs on the river to beat me. Up to 900, he goes all-in again and for some strange reason (being annoyed, probably...) I decide to call and he has AA. Still 5900 left. With 2000, Laila goes all-in with 33, gets called by KJ (...) and doubles up once more after a 3 on the river. Ah, and this is when I got my straight flush draw that I blogged about earlier. The "bubble" (with 5 players, top 4 get at least a step 2 ticket) lasted 40 games. Back to step 1.
  4. Step 1. TT all-in for 1800 (level 50/100), get called by the powerhouse 55, 5 on the flop. Out.
  5. Step 1. Actually make it to 2nd place, reaching Step 2 again.
  6. Step 2. JJ UTG, raise to 4BB = 160. Three callers (just great) and an ace on the flop (terrific). Hoping against hope, I bet out again (120 into pot 660) and to my amazement, nobody seems to have an ace: 2340. AK brings me no joy. Later, down to 1770, 78s as BB. Two callers and I call. Flop Kxx, two small spades. After a check, I try to steal with a bet of 400 (too large, leaves me no real exit strategy) and get called. Turn is 7s and we both check, river is fourth spade and I have to fold to a bet. Down to 1100, try to steal on the button which fails to TT in the SB. Try again step 1.
  7. Step 1. With 3 players left, lose it all when the turn gives me two pair and my opponent a straight (board KJ95, his hand QT...) Try again step 1.
More later. So far, clear mistakes in games 1 and 6, and rotten luck in games 2, 4, and 7, and also in game 3 where I could have earned at least another Step 2 ticket much earlier with some nicer river cards. So my results are not ALL down to my lousy play.

No comments: