Tuesday, June 5, 2007

23 times all-in in 89 hands

I just played a $10 SNG with some people who clearly did not understand SNG endgame strategy. They kept making regular calls and minraises that represented a third or more of their stacks. Plus they did not dare to call my all-in bets! A delicious combination, but it did take a long time before the bubble burst. I could hardly go all-in on every hand, after all...

This hand occurred near the start of the game and marked the first time that I went all-in. After all, I had 95o!

Blinds: t25/t50
7 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1257
UTG+1: t1170
MP1: t1410
Hero: t1040
Button: t1350
SB: t3360
BB: t2413

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is CO with 9♥ 5♠
3 fold,
Hero raises to t150 (standard steal attempt in CO),
2 fold,
BB calls t100 (pot was t225).

Flop: K♠ 4♦ 5♦ (t325, 2 players)
BB checks (instantly),
Hero bets t100 (continuation bet, a bit on the low side though),
BB calls t100 (pot was t425).

Turn: some low card (t525, 2 players)
BB checks (after a bit of thought),
Hero is all-in t790 (simply don't think he has anything),
BB folds.
Uncalled bets: t790 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: t525
Hero collected [$1315].

I realized only after he folded that he was most likely on a flush draw (or just thought I was bluffing perhaps - perish the thought!).

Two successive rounds, the game was folded to me in the BB. The third time, the SB raised and I called, but had to fold after an Ace on the flop. With the blinds up to 75/150, my stack was down to 1115 and all-in was the only move I had left. At least, this is how it seemed to me, the other players did not seem to catch on to this :-)

I started with KT as BB after just one caller, he folded. Shortly afterwards I went all-in on two successive hands to isolate on the same microstack (7 chips!), first I lost to him with A8, then I beat him with KQ. AQ on the very next hand, again all-in, again no callers. A few hands later I actually get called when I go all-in with AK and lose to 44, fortunately he only had 800 chips left. Still, this put me down to 1060.

All-in on A2 on next hand, no callers (blinds are now 100/200, 5 players left). Then 99 (SB) and J8 (OTB, both after all previous players folded). Then QJ UTG, T9 SB, AQ UTG, KT as SB after there was actually one caller, who called and lost to my rivered flush. A4 OTB, Q5 SB gets called by 66 BB, I lose and have 1622 left (I was by far the biggest stack until this point).

Now I clearly have to "loosen up" my all-in range, if such a thing is still possible :-) and I go all-in on the next hand with 93o (OTB). No callers! And immediately again with A8, same result. 2822 now, since the level is already 200/400 at this point. I fold to a rare all-in by another player and then push with AJ as SB, BB does not call (too bad). Next time as BB the SB goes all-in and I decide to call with A4: pot was 1470, I had to call an additional 670. Reasonable odds, but he has TT and wins. 1752! Next hand, push Q4, two hands later QJ, next game folded to me in the BB (fourth time this game)...

Now we finally start to see some more all-in moves, but no one ever calls, including my AT. Then, finally, the two shortest stacks go all-in against eachother and although the shortest stack wins, the loser is eliminated on the next hand.

With three players left, UTG raises to 2000 (stack 4000) and I feel that my QTs is more than good enough to call (my stack is 2400). I am fortunate enough to catch a 10 on the flop. I eliminate him on the next hand. After three games heads up, my first playable hand is 33, and my opponent calls my all-in with A5 (?). I catch a 3 on the turn, making the river Ace irrelevant and ending the game. That was the twenty-third time that I had gone all-in...

The game was of comparable length to the one I played last night, there I unfortunately went out in fourth after 92 games.

PS. In my second SNG tonight, I came in second. (Net profit tonight: $58. When I think how long it took me to earn the first $50...) Again, the other two last remaining players did not have a clue what they were doing, though the biggest stack might have played this way intentionally to keep the small stack alive, making life difficult for me.

... OK it is official now, he did not have a clue. Sharkscope:
Played 1,263
Av.Profit -$1
Av. Stake $17
ROI -7%
Profit -$1,479...

This is frightening! This is the first player that I have looked up that has thrown away so much money on poker. On the other hand, I started using Sharkscope yesterday. Still...

No comments: