Sunday, June 17, 2007

What a difference a week makes

Fortunately today things went a lot better than last week during the weekend. I placed 1st, 5th and 2nd for a net profit of $50. (Well, $47 to be precise...) I had a bit of luck but overall I think I played reasonable. I made some dubious moves but no great mistakes, I think.

1. Still on level 1, called with A4 OTB. Two opps check flop -> I bet 40. One remains -> I bet 100 on turn, he folds. Board 592T.
Next hand called with KJ, flop AQJ. All check, so I bet 40, but fold to a reraise.
QA UTG, raise to 80 (still level 1), two callers. Flop Axx, bet 150 into pot 250, both fold.
Fold ATs in early position, flop AQJ, checked around, opps fold to pot bet.
63 OTB, raise to 150 = 3BB (stack 1000) after all fold, both blinds fold.
J3s BB, flop two clubs (my suit). Bet of 100 into pot 250 gets called, I check-fold turn. Down to 850.
54 OTB, all-in after all fold, both blinds fold. (Level was 50/100 now, time for desperate measures!)
JJ in MP, raise to 300 = 3BB after one caller, he folds. 1200.
JJ as BB gets folded around to me!
AK OTB, call early minraise of 300 (level 75/150), as does BB. Fold to c-bet on flop xxx. 900.
AK again on very next hand! Player to my right minraises to 300 and I go all-in, reasoning that I am most likely only slightly behind (if he has any pair below kings). However, he calls and has AQ! That boosts me up to 2165.
Some players now get eliminated in quick succession, one by me when he goes all-in on a short stack as SB and I have AA... 2400.
Four all-ins later (not consecutively ;-) ) I am up to 3800 with only two opponents left. Level is by now 150/300.
Allin with QJ gets called by a shortstack with AK, but I catch a J on the flop. 5600!
Heads up, my opponent folds to every flop bet that I make. The one time that he actually calls me, I catch two pair on the turn... He also folds several hands preflop (an elementary mistake). Finally, with a severely shortened stack, he goes all-in on K9 and I have to call with KJ and even get a jack on the flop, which is good because the turn brings a 9. I think this is the weakest that I have ever seen an opponent play heads-up against me. When the heads up phase started, he was actually slightly ahead of me in chips! Still, he was not as bad as the player who finished third, who according to Sharkscope has lost $1300 on Pacific...

2. Held on too long to middle pair. My opponent hit top pair on the turn and a flush on the river. 950.
JQs SB, all-in for 850 (level 25/50) after all fold. BB calls with 66, J on flop. A bit early to be going all-in, I think! 1700.
75 OTB, raise to 3BB = 150 after all fold, BB calls but folds to c-bet of 100 on flop T96. 1860.
44 UTG+1 (five players left), all-in for 1900, all fold. 2050.
KJ as BB, call minraise of 200, flop J55, bet 200, opp goes all-in on 77... and catches a 7 on the river. 750!
Next hand, all-in on Q9 as SB after all fold, BB calls with A6 (...), 9 on flop. Back to 1500.
A7 as BB, same opp who just caught the 7 again minraises to 300, I call. Flop AJ4, I go all-in for 1200 more (pot 675), he folds. 1900.
A4 OTB, level 75/150, but will increase to 100/200 on next hand. I go all-in after all fold, SB calls with AJ and wins. I think my move was reasonable. Out in 5th place.

3. 9Ks, refuse to call minraise: need to call 20 into pot 140... Flop Kxx and eventually I would have had a flush.
JJ as SB, raise to 100 after four callers, all fold!
Call with A5 OTB-1, flop Axx, bet half the pot, all fold. 1340.
KQo in EP, raise to 150 = 3BB, both loose players call as well as the BB. Minbet on the flop gets called by BB only, after which I lose interest. Eventually he turns out to have (only) AT. 1000.
55 as BB, four callers. I see this as my chance to earn 200 back and go all-in. Player with A5 calls, thank you very much... 1940.
45o as SB, for once I refuse to call after there are two callers in front of me (1800, level 50/100), flop 855... (I refused 7:1 odds.)
The player to my immediate right gave me quite a few chips during the tournament: did not stand up to steals and also folded to numerous of my flop bets. Still, eventually he would take them all, but I am getting ahead of myself.
Q7s OTB, minraise to 300, BB calls. Flop AQx, I minbet, he calls. This is worrisome, and the ten and jack that next appear on the board even more. We check the pot down and he has only 66. Stack 3100!
I stay roughly stable until I manage to win two pots in a row: 3850. Immediately after this, player 4 is eliminated.
J3 as SB, I call after all fold and bet on missed flop. By now my opponent must have started to suspect something because he calls with 32!! I check after this and he gets a 2 on the river, down to 2650.
T9 as BB, SB minraises to 800 (level 200/400!), I basically have to call, I feel. Since this commits me I go all-in, he calls with A8 and I get a 10 on the flop. 5300. Two hands later I eliminate this opp when I go all-in with KQ and he calls, K on flop. 7000 heads-up!
He soon goes all-in on 67 (??) and I happen to have 99 so I call, but he ends up with two pair. Down to 3000.
A few hands later I beat him with AQ vs KQ, and have then 8620 and later briefly 8870. But when I go all-in with K9 (level 250/500 by now, his stack 3000) he has A8 and wins. Finally, his K7 beats my JA when he gets a straight on the river! He certainly had his share of luck in this heads-up phase....

Also tried a $20 SNG for the very first time and earned some nice chips with four fives (beating a full house). However, I then got kicked off! Fortunately I got my buyin back from Pacific. However, since there were only 6 players left at this stage, I feel that I should have gotten $33 back. Does anyone have experience at other poker sites? What is the usual policy in cases like these? I know that I once got money back based on the amount of opponents remaining when I lost connection, I think this was at Titan (quite a while ago).

No comments: