Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Four pocket pairs in 14 hands, out in 216th place

I just had an incredibly frustrating tournament. I got the most amazing cards...

Hand 1, AQo. I call a raise and have to fold on a low flop after there is a bet and a call.

Hand 4, I get 77. UTG raises to 100 and I fold, of course. There are two callers behind me, giving me the right odds to call after all (if only I had known) and there is a 7 on the flop. (Hm, I see now that Harrington actually advocates calling in this situation. Who knew. I thought sevens would be too low. Well, learned another painful lesson.)

Hand 6, I get 33 in second position. UTG raises to 100 and I fold. (No three appears.)

Hand 9, I get 99 as SB. There are two limpers, I raise to 100 and one limper remains. The flop is Ace high. I have to find out where I stand and bet 100, he raises me to 200 and I fold.

Hand 14, I get JJ and raise to 120. Three callers, among them the idiot with the Ace from just now. Flop is 542... all clubs. I bet, one opponent calls and he raises me 450. I have no choice but to go all-in here, he has JT of clubs. I had 600 left, the pot was 1400 and I just had to assume that he did not have two clubs. After all, what are the odds...

It was really an incredibly frustrating experience for me, especially after surviving two hours in yesterday's tournament and doing quite well (not well enough to cash though). Well, back to the SNG's I guess.

PS: lost 2 $20 games and a $30 game, for a total loss of $75.50 for the night. I guess it is time to go to bed :-) Don't get me wrong, I would have preferred to win tonight, but just a few months ago such a loss would have been catastrophic - actually impossible, because I did not play for such high buyins. The good thing is that I still have a bankroll of over $600, and that is after cashing out $1000 overall during my short poker career :-)

No comments: