Sunday, September 30, 2007

More ups and downs

Since my win from yesterday, I have had some minor successes but also some setbacks, so that my current bankroll is only $75 or so. We'll see how it continues, at least I am happy about the way I am playing.

I realized what I was doing wrong at Party. The blinds increase much slower than at Pacific, and I was simply too impatient. At Pacific, when the blinds hit 50/100 or 75/150 (starting stack 1200 or 1500), you have to start making moves, because the blinds increase every ten hands (!!). But at Party, when the blinds are 50/100 (starting stack 2000) it takes ten full minutes before the blinds increase to 100/200. This means you have much more time to wait for good cards, and there is no need to make desperate moves, and also steals become less urgent.

Another property of the Party players is that they often cannot let go of a hand. Many times, a continuation bet with air is simply not going to work, and I did not take this sufficiently into account. Only when the blinds really mean something (at least 100/200) are the players more liable to lay hands down, though even there you see the most horrible calls.

In my last game, a frequent raiser raised to 600 on the button (level 100/200). I reraised all-in for 2100 (I think it was), and he actually called... with 44. Unfortunately, I did not hold a higher pair but only two high cards, and I lost this race. I suppose that I should not have been racing in this situation at all and just fold to his raise, but he had gotten on my nerves. I guess that was my real mistake in this situation!

No comments: