Sunday, July 15, 2007

90 cents

This is my overall net profit at Titan right now... Given that it was -$38.10 before I made my latest attempt at a $10 SNG, I cannot complain about this!

That's right, at long last I managed to not only make the money, but actually win a $10 SNG at Titan. After all the trouble I had in recent days, this game was surprisingly easy. I got a few good hands early on and actually managed to make the most of them.

The best one was the following. I raise with KQ preflop (I think I was UTG), one caller. I miss the flop which is Jxx and make a continuation bet. He calls again and I curse my luck until a queen hits the turn. I feel that I must be ahead here (not to mention the fact that I am quite upset at his nerve of calling my bluff) and go all-in. After some thought, he calls... he had Q8!! Don't ask me what he was thinking when he called preflop and on the flop - or on the turn, for that matter.

I had some difficulty winning the heads-up phase, after my opponent hit an unlikely runner-runner flush to take the lead from me (I was 2:1 up, so after that 2:1 down). However, ten hands later or so, he refuses to believe that I hit top pair and calls my all-in bet. This leaves him with only 2000 chips (I had already crept up on him a bit) and then the rest was a formality. Although the end was interesting: preflop he raised to 2BB = 600, leaving only 1400 in his stack, but then he refused to call my reraise! Then on the next hand, I just put him all-in with 96 or so, and the flop came T96 ;-)

Just before this, I also managed to win a $10 SNG at Pacific, where I had fled because of my continuing bad results. These two successive wins have wiped out the losses that I made this week playing double stack games. At the moment, my profit this month stands at $63. I am just happy to be back in the black for the month...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats :)

But I'm interested in what this has learned you about playing at Titan.

cheers, Nard

Rob1606 said...

Well, I guess the main thing that I learned is that I shouldn't take these rankings at face value. Certainly some of the players at the double stack tournaments know what they are doing. Also the opposition at Pacific remains really weak. Of course it could be that I am more used to them by now (more used to Pacific's style of idiot players than to Titan's idiot players), or that I just feel more confident at Pacific due to my overall results there (now $400!).

Anonymous said...

The rankings are a bit curious. Partypoker being more difficult than Titan is hard to believe.
I was also wondering if PokerShark doesn't help you enough when selecting a table at Titan?

Nard

Rob1606 said...

Oh I don't actually use the live tournament selector. It seemed like an exciting feature when I found it, but it hardly seems worth the trouble now. Also it seems that from the sites that I play at, they only feature Pacific, and there I know that the players are idiots anyway:-)