Tuesday, July 24, 2007

420 to 12000

I tell you, it certainly feels better to be the one who is sucking out for a change...

In my last game, I started off rather speculatively and soon dropped to 635 chips. I managed to win a bit back by going all-in as BB with A8s after four limpers. However, shortly after that I got AK, raised and got one caller who was very shortstacked. The flop was QQJ and my opponent went all-in, I had no choice but to call due to pot odds. Turns out he had A3... but they were spades, as well as two of the cards on the table, and the turn. This put me down to 420!

On the very next hand, I got KK and raised to 3BB = 120. Everyone folded :-/ Perhaps in the bad state I was in, I should have just limped and hoped for the best.

Next time I was BB I again got AK! UTG minraised after everyone folded and SB went all-in, he had me covered (obviously...) I assumed that this was my best shot at getting back into the game and called. He had 88 and I was down and out until the river K - first suckout. (Although of course, preflop my call was perfectly acceptable.) Back to 1030!

I dropped 44 after an early raise. Then as SB, stack down to 905, level 50/100, I went all-in after there was just one caller, both players fold. Then I get 44 again, this time in 2nd position. I go all-in and everyone folds. On the next hand I get KK! I go all-in again, hoping for a call this time, but no luck. 1300. QJ as BB, I see a cheap flop Jxx. All-in again and all three opponents fold. 1605!

On the next hand, I get AJ as SB and go all-in after only UTG calls. (Perhaps all-in was slightly over the top here, I guess I had not adjusted to my suddenly large stack in relation to the blinds.) UTG calls with KQ and gets rewarded by a King on the flop (suckout)... but the turn is an Ace (resuck!) :-) Now I have 3310, up from 1055 four hands ago... Suddenly I am chip leader.

Then the funniest hand of the game happens when I pick up 27 as BB, noone raises and the flop comes 752. Only one opponent in middle position is left and I check to him. The level is now 75/150. He duly obliges by raising to 450. After a brief thought (don't want to overdo it) I call, and check the river J. Now he raises 600! Leaving only 1800 in his stack. This makes me a bit worried that he might have 55 in his hand, but I decide to make my move and raise to 1200. He just calls (no 55, I guess!) and the river is a 4. There is a very small chance of a straight here, but I go all-in and he calls. And what kind of monster hand did he have? ... 87s. That's right, the incredible top pair (well, medium pair after the turn) strikes again! This brings me up to 6575.

Soon we are down to 3 players, and I get lucky when the short stack wins an all-in confrontation against nr.2 and then immediately goes all-in on 88 against my 99! This only leaves a very short stack (1100) as my opponent, and I believe the game only lasted one more hand.

No comments: