Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A few difficult hands

Two hands from my last MTT have been bugging me. I have been wondering whether I should have played them differently. Your thoughts?

  1. Stack 5530 in BB (before posting the blind). Blinds 150/300. I have QQ, EP pushes for about 3500. MP flat calls this push and it is folded around to me. What do you do? Personally, the flat call scared the hell out of me, MP had a similar stack to mine but did not attempt to isolate. I expected AA or KK there. So I folded, and it turns out he only had 88... For what it's worth, my only alternative was to push (as I see it) and I had to assume that MP would call that (though he might have folded his 88, but I was not expecting that hand!). So my choice was to bet 5230 to win 3500+5230=8730, getting odds of 5:3. Is that worth it? Oh, we were still a long way from the money spots here.
  2. My last hand. 33 players left, top 30 gets paid. I found AK UTG, my M was about to drop to about 7. I pushed, SB called with JJ. Should I have been more careful? I was in the worst possible position, I could have limped or minraised.
Reviewing the tournament, there was also an early QQ, the blinds were still 15/30. I flat called a 3BB raise. I probably should have reraised here, I need to think about this and see what Harrington has to say about it. As it happens, there were three more callers and an Ace on the flop. Given the flop, I probably would have lost this hand anyway, but I would not have had to play it against so many opponents (I just folded).

Also, I did not have to fold 88 to a minraise, as I did right after hand 1 above (the flop came 733).

Again, overall I think I played reasonably well, but on these two hands above I obviously lost a LOT of chips. I would be interested to hear any thoughts about these hands.


Current status: at Celeb I am €4 away from clearing a €10 bonus. That means still 16 €5 heads-up games, for example. The heads up games continue to be tough, amazingly tough I might say. In my last game I ran an overpair into a full house and then lost with AK to 88.

2 comments:

The 80th Minute said...

I would also have layed down the hand after a push and a call.
I would expect at least one of the two had A (KorQ) combination meaning that any A on the board would eliminate u. Other will say that in order to win you need to be willing to die and if you go out with QQ it is just bad luck but I would folded that hand also.

The AK situation. Depends on how many players were on the border of being eliminated. At this point in the MTT you need to make a decision. I'm going to take a shot and put my ITM chances at stakes or am I just happy with surviving until the bubble has bursted. If I'm with the last 5 in chiplead if would have done the same. If not I would have wanted until the bubble has bursted.

Rob1606 said...

I was somewhere in the middle when I got that AK, I had chipped up just before this. I was probably too optimistic because my previous pushes had not been called.

Sometimes I get that "invulnerable" feeling, especially when I have just won a few pots, or one big one. This is always extremely dangerous...