Friday, December 28, 2007

Eliminating three players in one hand

Nice if you can do it.

I held 88 and limped in, early in an SNG. I did not have to pay any more to see the flop which was J85 with two low clubs. Jackpot! Except, I was facing six opponents...

The first one (I think) raised to 150, five times the big blind. The pot until then was 210. One player called. Two. Three. THEN it was my turn... My stack was 1740 at this point, the pot was 810. Now, it was clear to me that I was facing at least one flush draw, and moreover I know that people with flush draws are typically hard to get rid of. But I did have a set, and was a clear favorite against a flush draw.

So I pushed.

The player to my left, who had not acted yet in this round, folded. The original raiser called. The next player folded. The next player called. The last player called as well. Now the four of us were all-in to see the rest of the hand. I felt sure I was going to lose to a made flush.

But first let us review what my worthy opponents had. The original raiser had 67 of clubs, so he actually had a straight flush draw and may well have been favorite to win the hand at this point (I did not have the chance to read all the percentages in time). The second caller had KK. Imagine that - first limping preflop, and then flat calling a bet of 150 (three-fourths of the pot) postflop after one other caller, on a somewhat dangerous board. Can you play KK more horribly than that? I think not! At the very least you want to make the people who are on a flush draw pay at this point...

The last caller had K4 of clubs. Given this opposition, where of course especially the straight flush draw was worrysome (even though with the 4 of clubs out he was actually drawing to the straight flush only at one end), as I wrote I had a very bad feeling about this.

Until the turn card appeared, that is.

It was the missing 8. Of course the straight flush guy still had a chance to beat me (I shudder to think that he might have won this hand), but the river did not give him his single out and I won a pot of 6480 with this hand (starting stack 1500). Very nice...

No comments: